Thursday, January 13, 2011

Man Cave Decor

So before I left for my holiday, I promised everyone pics of what I was so busy sewing and doing before the holiday.  Todays pic is going to come with a tutorial and a huge thank you from the Plaid website.

My husband and I decided not to buy gifts for each other (as we do every year only to be set up for failure).  I enjoy giving gifts!!  I enjoy taking the time to make or pick out something special that I know the receiver will love.  So to keep my costs down, I decided to make Mad a useful piece of art for his rock out section of our basement.  Currently he owns 3 electric & 1 acoustic guitar, 1 electric & 1 acoustic bass, plus the kids have electric guitars.  He also only has a space that is about 6' x 9' to house all this, plus a set of drums and all the equipment that goes with it.



As I was browsing the instructions on how to use modge podge (yep needed instructions, cause I kinda sucked at it), I got distracted by the project tutorials on the website.  For anyone who knows, thats not really hard to believe.  That aside, I found a tutorial for a rocked out coat rack with a pic of a guitar on it.  The wheels stared turning, I loved it.  We don't need another coat rack, but I immediately thought I could giant size it and turn it into a guitar rack.

So I apologize that I only have 1 pic of the finished product, but we only had 1 camera on which I could take pics.  Mad also likes to take pics and look at the ones that I have taken of the kidlets all day.  So unfortunately I couldn't take step by step pics, and I had to wait until Christmas to take a finished pic so as not to arouse suspicion.  I will however provide you with the best instructions and measurements that I can.

So here goes.
Material:
sanded plywood, 4'x3'
2x4 cut to 3'
12" wide mdf board cut to 12" squares, 3 pieces
(the above material I had on hand)
2 guitar wall hangers, $13.00 each
coat hook, $1.00 ($ store)
Long wood screws, on hand
washers, on hand
burgundy and black spray paint, $3.00 each
silver paint, on hand
poster of a guitar made, $18.00

total: $51.00

A little more than I wanted to spend, but I still have some paint I can use for another project, aka a second one that Mad requested.  Not bad for a totally awesome way to get the guitars and cords off the floor and give him some more space.

Instructions:
To start I spray painted the plywood burgundy, red according to him because burgundy is far to feminine for him, and the 2x4 black.  I let it dry and then added a second coat to both.  Also, because I could only find a brass coat hanger, I spray painted that black as well.  Meanwhile, I cut my poster to fit the 12"x12" mdf board and modge podged it on (see why I needed the instructions).  After that was dry, I pre-drilled holes for my screws, and attached the mdf pics to the plywood (here is where I used the washers for a more industrial look).  I measured where I wanted them and it was about 4" from the left and right, with a space of 1.5" in between the pics, and they were 3" down from the top of the plywood.  After that was done, I painted the 2x4 silver and wiped it off immediately to leave a worn look.  When that was dry, I pre-drilled 3 holes to attach it to the plywood.  Then I attached the 2 guitar hangers (about 2" infrom either side) and added the coat hanger in the middle.  Then I attached the 2x4 to the plywood, and voila, DONE! Super simple, and with drying time, it only took me an afternoon, which was also spent doing laundry and cooking and other general cleaning in between.  The best part, he loved it and requested another one!

So here it is



Like it, I love it!

Until tomorrow when you finally get to see my pics, enjoy your day, enjoy your family and happy crafting!

No comments: