Monday, February 7, 2011

Beans and Corn Bread and a Rant

As promised, a couple days late, here is the recipes for the beans and cornbread.  They turned out fantastic!  BTW, the party was a HUGE hit. The kids ran around like mad, and when it was time for a story (Mad Dad set up wood around a red flood light) the kids all sat around the "fire" and helped me read one of their favorite stories.

Baked Beans


3 cups dry pinto beans, soaked (at least 4 hours)
4 cups chopped onions
2 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 - 2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1.5 tsp dry mustard
6 - 8 medium cloves garlic, minced
6 tbsp dry white wine (optional)
6 - 8 tbsp cider vinegar (to taste)
3 - 4 tbsp molasses (to taste)
2 cups grated mild cheese (optional)
lots of black pepper
crushed red pepper, to taste
3 medium sized tart apples, cut into medium sized chunks
4 medium sized ripe tomatoes, chopped
 
place the presoaked beans in a kettle and cover them with plenty of water. bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, partially cover, and cook slowly until tender  (1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours), checking the water level during cooking.  drain off any excess when the beans are done (this can be saved for soup stock).
begin cooking the onions in olive oil in a medium sized skillet.  add salt, chili powder, cumin and mustard, and saute over medium heat for about 8 - 10 minutes.  add garlic, and saute for another 5 minutes or so.  add this saute to the cooked beans, along with all remaining ingredients.
preheat oven to 350.  mix the beans well and transfer to a deep casserole or a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. cover tightly with foil, and bake 1 hour.


Corn Bread

  • 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 2/3 cups milk
  • 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt

    1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Combine the eggs and milk. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with egg mixture.
      1. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees F for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.


Hope you all enjoy these recipes, we sure did.

Now since my computer id working, how about a little Meditation Monday.  Todays topic, proper clothing for yoga.  Until I started doing yoga regularly, I thought stores that sold their clothing at outrageous prices for a pair of glorified sweatpants were a huge rip off!  My mind has been changed and I believe they are worth every penny of the brand name.  Ultimately I'm cheap, I try not to spend too much on my clothes especially.  I have 3 kids that need a new wardrobe every 3 months it seems.  I do what I can, and there are definitely hand me downs for Chaos and Supernan, from friends, and I try to repurpose what I can, and make stuff when I can.  YaYa does not like the stuff that I make all the time, she is far too "fashion conscious (in her mind)" to wear the uncool stuff that I spend hours working on for her.  Anyways, enough of my rant, with everything else that I have to worry about spending money on, expensive clothes for myself is not high on the list.  However, when it comes to doing yoga, there is something to be said for actual quality.  Like I said, I have 3 kids, I had 3 c-sections, and the mummy tummy to prove it (I try, but it wont go away) and it is particularly uncomfortable when you have to adjust your clothing constantly in a class.  Case in point, last weeks class, in between sun salutations and mountain pose we were not given a breath to adjust, our form or our clothing.  It's not such a pretty site to see my butt hanging out because my "yoga" pants have slipped down and folded under said mummy tummy and are literally hanging at the BOTTOM of my tailbone.  Basically what I am trying to say, is if you are going to invest your time and your body, invest in some proper clothes!  Lol, or might end up like me.

Until tomorrow, enjoy your day, enjoy your family, and happy doing whatever your day brings you.

No comments: