Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How to Recover Kitchen Chairs (And Save your Sanity)

So apparently I had a brain malfunction when, already a mama to 2 children with chaos on the way, I decided that it would be a fabulous idea to get a new table and chairs set.  Beautiful! The problem, that for some strange reason I failed to see at the time was that the seat cushions are (were) a beautiful creamy white color.  After deliberation, steam cleaning, and hand cleaning the chairs numerous times, I decided to buy plastic covers that tie on for easy clean up.  Unfortunately, they turned out to be little more than glorified shopping bags, only not as thick.  Plan B; purchase a dollar store vinyl shower curtain, and make my own chair covers.  Enter Plan C; take the chair seat off and staple the vinyl to the cover, a little more permanent under the seats of 3 messy children.

Step 1:
Make sure that the dinner from last night is actually cleaned off the chairs. (no pics, because I actually managed to do this without having 5 meals eaten on the chair in between dinner and my project)

Step 2:
Unscrew  the chair seat from the chair

Step 3:
Open the shower curtain and spread it out. WATCH OUT FOR THE HELP FROM CHAOS, HE TRIED TO WEAR IT AS A HAT.

Step 4:
Measure and cut your vinyl around your seat, making sure to leave extra to fold over

Step 5:
Find the staple gun and staple the curtain to the UNDERSIDE of the seat, carefully pulling tight as you do
 (it's not pretty, but its effective)
Step 6:
Replace seat to chair and screw back in, sorry, no pics again, help from chaos is not necessarily conducive to many projects.

Step 7:
Step back and enjoy your work

I have officially turned into my grandmother, covering my furniture in plastic.  On a brighter note, I will be able to enjoy my furniture for years to come.
Only 7 more to do.

mama cash

No comments: