Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Turn a Sleeping Bag Cover Into a$5.00 Booster Seat (aka, 2nd degree burns from a glue gun)

It's that time again folks, you remember.  When I try to show something clever that I have come up with, and then show you how to do it.  Well, this time, I think I may have done just that, aside from the atrocious photography at work (I swear I am usually a little better), we are transforming the sleeping bag cover from the boys Spiderman fold out couch. This is a piece of material that usually has a special spot rolled up in a corner or tossed under a bed.  So when Chaos decided that he was a big boy and did not want to sit in his actual booster seat at the dinner table, I came up with this gem.  (seriously, it was making him and everyone miserable, and not worth the fight)

Materials:
Soft foam cushioning, $5.00, Walmart
Scrap fabric, on hand
Vinyl shower curtain (or table cloth), on hand or $2.00, Dollarama
Hot glue sticks, on hand

Step 1:
Pick your fabric, or beloved blanket, etc. Take a chunk of store bought foam (craft section at Walmart, $5.00) and cut to your desired size, I cut mine in half, and then hot glue the 2 pieces together, making the seat double tall.


Step 2:
Measure and cut your fabric to fit snugly around the foam, leaving about 1 inch for your makeshift glue seam.

Step 3:
Place bottom side fabric on top of your foam work space, and wrap top fabric around to reach the other piece, glue your edges to the bottom piece of fabric.


Step 4:
Cut a piece of your vinyl table shower curtain (from last weeks, cover your chairs tutorial) to fit around your new booster seat (believe me, this is an important step, making for easy clean and sanity saving), and hot glue edges, the easiest way is to wrap it like a present and glue the edges, taking care to not have too much excess.





The end result is a happy toddler, who can still reach the table, and I have less mess to clean up.  Now if only I could get him to actually use it, he liked it for about 5 seconds.

Until tomorrow, enjoy your day, and happy crafting.

No comments: