Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pizza Friday, and More

In our house, we celebrate Pizza Friday. Take out can be very expensive, so we make our own.  I have the best recipe for pizza dough (thanks momma), that beats the best pizzerias.  And it's EASY, takes 5 min to make.  Believe me, when I have kids climbing all over me and helping, the easier the better.  I am going to give you 2 versions of this recipe, as long as you promise not to tell my kids or my husband that I usually use the second one.

Version 1:
1 cup warm water
2 3/4 tsp quick yeast
2 tbsp oil (your choice, we use EVOO)
dash salt (optional, its not necessary for the baking process)
2 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water, add oil and flour.
Beat vigorously.
Let rest 5 min (I usually turn the oven light on, cover the dough and put in in the         oven to stay warm while I prep the remaining ingredients)
Makes 2 12 inch pizzas, or double recipe for 3

Version 2:
1 cup warm water
2 3/4 tsp quick yeast
2 tbsp oil
dash salt
1 can chick peas, drained, rinsed and pureed
3 cups flour

Recipe as above

Once dough has had a chance to rest, roll out to your pizza pan and top with your favorite toppings.  The sky is the limit. This also makes nice small crusts that are perfect for children's parties, or helping hands. Using the second recipe adds a little more fiber into the families diets, and makes me feel better about eating pizza every Friday.

Ready for 1 more?  Here is a bonus dessert that is just as quick to prepare and equally delicious.  This is definitely a childhood favorite.

Quick Pudding:
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp margarine
2 cups raisins (optional)
1 cup milk

Syrup:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp margarine
3 1/2 cups boiling water

Preheat oven to 375
Mix pudding ingredients together, and spread in a large baking dish (9x13 pan).
Pour syrup over dough.
Bake 40  min.

Makes for a slightly carb heavy meal, but easy to prepare for those busy days and a nice warm meal for those chilly Canadian winter evenings.  Plus, pizza makes a fantastic lunch the next day and I become cool mom again, if only for 1 day.

Don't forget that tomorrow is family day, so I will see you back here for Meditation Monday.  Enjoy your weekend, enjoy your family and hope you like the pizza.

No comments: